Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Audrey Hepburn and the Apostle Peter

I received the same email from both my mother and my oldest sister today. It was about Audrey Hepburn. I have always admired Audrey Hepburn for her sense of style, poise and grace. Not only was she lovely to look at, she was also lovely inside.
The Bible encourages us to be lovely on the inside too. 
The Apostle Peter writes in First Peter chapter 3 verse 4, that our beauty should be hidden deep within us and that it can't be destroyed. That beauty expresses itself in a gentle and quiet attitude towards others. God considers this type of beauty precious.

Audrey Hepburn was born in Belgium in 1929 and was only 63 years old when she died from appendiceal cancer in 1993. Beginning in 1988 she dedicated the rest of her life to working with UNICEF. In 1992 she received the Presidential Medal of Freedom for her humanitarian work in Africa, Asia, and South America. She worked tirelessly to change the plight of impoverished and starving children in the poorest of nations. Did you know that she was fluent in six languages (Dutch, English, French, Spanish, Italian and German)?
I wondered if she had a faith in God and came across this quote, "I have enormous faith, but it's not attached to any one particular religion...my mother was one thing, my father another. In Holland they were all Calvinists. That has no importance to me at all."

Here is the email I received today.
A poem by Audrey Hepburn when asked to share her 'beauty tips'.

"For attractive lips, speak words of kindness.
For lovely eyes, seek out the good in people.
For a slim figure, share your food with the hungry.
For beautiful hair, let a child run his/her fingers through it once a day.
For poise, walk with the knowledge that you never walk alone.
People, even more than things, have to be restored, renewed, revived, reclaimed, and redeemed; never throw out anyone. Remember, if you ever need a helping hand, you will find one at the end of each of your arms. As you grow older, you will discover that you have two hands; one for helping yourself, and the other for   helping others."

I'm impressed.  

2 comments:

  1. Audrey was only a year older than I was, when she passed away. How sad! Way too young...
    Thank you for sharing this post online...it is so sweet~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Audrey was only a year older than I was, when she passed away. How sad! Way too young...
    Thank you for posting this online...the sentiments Audrey spoke of 'beauty tips' is so sweet.
    (I tried posting this once and Google 'confiscated' it. I am trying again!)

    ReplyDelete